That’s the key question to be asking when thinking about backup solutions. Backing up files, folders and operating systems is the only sure fire way to recover from a ransomware infection, deliberate or inadvertent file deletions or a system failure. In fact, 90% of companies experience some form of downtime, which may result in loss of data, security, productivity, or revenue with the average time taken to recover from disaster being 18.5 hours – but 43% of companies never totally recover.
If “the bad thing” happens you want to be able to get your business moving again as quickly and painlessly as possible. So focus on business continuity and recovery rather than simply “backup”.
Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery from Datto
That’s why we have picked Datto as our primary partner for business continuity and recovery solutions. Datto have really thought through the whole backup and recovery process and understand that backup is a means to an end and not an end in itself.
Datto’s continuity services provide automated local backup on robust hardware purpose-built for data protection and replication to the secure Datto Cloud. If an outage occurs, you can boot virtual machines directly from the Datto device or in the cloud. There is a range of solutions to cover different sizes of businesses with different requirements – from local workstations and servers to applications in the cloud.
Although there are differences across the range the key benefits are:
- Prevention is better than cure: Datto devices actively monitor backups, and when a ransomware footprint is detected, administrators are notified that they have a likely ransomware attack on their hands. From there, recovery is simply a matter of restoring from a previous backup;
- Always on and continuous: The backup process is automatic – no messing about with hard drives or remembering when to conduct the next backup. Backups can be scheduled to occur as frequently as every five minutes meaning hardly any data may be lost in a recovery;
- Rapid recovery: A number of techniques including the use of virtualised images enables data and systems to be restored extremely quickly – often in just minutes. If a hardware failure has caused the issue, Datto can provide a complete image restore to a replacement hardware platform;
- Remote recovery: Some backups solutions require onsite personnel to manage regular backups and perform the restore functions leading to delays and cost. Our solutions are managed from an online portal which means you, or us, can manage the entire process from anywhere.
- Secure private cloud: Backup data is stored in Datto’s four European data centres. All UK and Ireland data is first synchronised to the primary facility in the UK. A secondary location in Iceland serves as a means for replication for the primary data centre in compliance with the GDPR.
- With you all the way: Most organisations (hopefully) do not need to use recovery services very often and therefore do not have the experience to recover quickly. We deliver our solutions “as a service” so we are always available to help you through the process quickly when its needed.
Checkout our backup and recovery solutions here, or give us a call.